Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sundays are for comfort

So, I have a secret. I love fried rice. I could live off of fried rice if you let me. Interestingly all of my Chinese friends have their own versions of fried rice. Generally, the technique stays the same, but everyone has their own personal tastes.

Today started with fried rice. Ok well technically it didn't, it technically started with my husband patiently trying to wake me up while I muttered and groaned sleeping obscenities in protest. I'm not really much of a morning person. That is, unless I'm waking up on my own accord and not because of:

  1. The Navy, or
  2. The alarm clock
Generally, I just don't like to be woken up.

Dropping off the hubs led to my morning gym routine. Today was legs day. I have a love/hate relationship with leg days. Followed by a protein shake and finally food. Generally, I eat breakfast around this time but I couldn't seem to help myself this morning. 

I viewed my little fried rice adventure as... payment for being woke up this morning. So I cracked open my fridge and pulled out whatever was quick and easy on hand. So, we are left with this:

Cabbage & Peas Fried Rice


You'll need:

  • A handful of cold already cooked rice
  • 1 whole egg, 2 whites lightly beaten
  • 2 leaves of cabbage (kind doesn't really matter, I'm partial to savoy), shredded
  • A handful of peas (I had frozen sitting around)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp ginger, grated
  • Soy Sauce
  • Some broth (Veg or Chicken works)
  • Chili Oil (optional)
What to do:
  1. Heat your wok, or skillet, or whatever you're using on medium heat with a healthy "glug" of peanut or canola oil.
  2. When you see a whisp of smoke, drop in your garlic and ginger and let cook for about 30 seconds. Be careful and keep an eye on it, it can burn fast.
  3. Drop in your shredded cabbage, continue to cook for another minute or so.
  4. Drizzle in some broth, not much maybe 2 tablespoons or so, and let cabbage steam until bright green and tender.
  5. Throw in your peas and rice, toss to make sure it's all nice and cozy together, let it go for another minute.
  6. Push everything out from the center of the wok/skillet/whatever and drop in your eggs. Be sure to take your spatula and stir it around quite a bit, imagine making little pieces of scrambled eggs. When eggs are just set, drizzle in some soy sauce (to taste) and toss the whole thing together. 
  7. Add chili oil if you like (I love!). Taste again, adjust seasoning as needed.
And you're set! Ok, so they're not like the most descriptive instructions, but you get the point. Good luck, let me know how it turns out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails